PTW Architects was established in Sydney by James Peddle in 1889.
PTW Architects (formerly Peddle Thorp & Walker) was established in Sydney by James Peddle in 1889. James Peddle was notable in the domestic field, adapting the practice of architecture he learned in England and the USA to the Sydney climate and conditions. Samuel George Thorp was made a partner of the firm soon after his award-winning entry for Sydney’s first planned garden suburb Daceyville in 1912.
In 1924 H. Earnest Walker joined as the third partner bringing an interest in efficiency and technology developed while working for major American firms in the 1920’s.
Henceforth the firm was known as Peddle Thorp & Walker and the office began to diversify from a purely domestic practice to one that also excelled at commercial and industrial architecture.
During the years of the Second World War PTW continued to practice with numerous defence projects awarded to it by the Commonwealth Department of Works. In the mid-1950’s the massive growth of Australia’s built environment saw PTW grow under the leadership of the late Graham Thorp to dominate the commercial building market, for which it is still renowned.
The 120 metre high AMP Tower at Circular Quay built in Sydney in 1962 was the first office building to break the 50 metre-height limit imposed in 1912. It was not only a physical landmark, but reached a standard of architectural refinement rare in such buildings at that time. Since then, PTW has been responsible for more than 50 commercial office buildings in Sydney and more than 150 throughout Australia, New Zealand and South-East Asia.
PTW is also responsible for the bulk of the Harbour waterfront development opportunities in Sydney; most recently with Rogers Stirk Harbour on the Barangaroo project.